- Supervisors must be able to see all students at all times.
- Supervisors must circulate through the playground area.
- Supervisors must periodically check students using equipment.
- A minimum of 2 adults must be present when any group of students is on break. Supervisors should be on opposite ends of the play area.
- Keep gates closed at all times.
- Students are never to be unattended while on school property.
- An incident report must be filled out when an injury occurs and the appropriate classroom teacher notified.
- All students are expected to follow the Playground Rules listed below.
Playground Rules (Students)
- Use equipment properly (i.e. no twisting swings)
- Always watch for younger students.
- No physical violence or threats.
- Share equipment and play space.
- Never leave the play area without adult permission.
- Look for an adult to help solve problems and follow their directions.
- Use the designated path between the playground and the school building.
Appropriate Playground Discipline
If inappropriate behavior occurs (e.g. physical aggression, taunting/harassing of another student, disrespect to an adult, and so on), the following steps should be followed:
- Student is asked to begin a time-out period not to exceed 5 minutes.
- After this cooling off period, adult approaches the student for a discussion of inappropriate behavior, and a more appropriate behavior choice. Time out is then completed.
- Repeated incidents should be referred to the Director.