The Morgantown Learning Academy philosophy stresses the concept of education as a lifelong process involving the total person. The school encourages students to reach their potential intellectually, artistically, socially and physically within an environment that fosters ethical behavior and social responsibility. The admission process is designed to identify and enroll students who demonstrate good character, intellectual ability, curiosity and a breadth of interests. The procedures outlined below enable the admission committees to select those candidates who offer a promise of success and contribution to Morgantown Learning Academy.
For grades in which there are more qualified applicants than openings, those qualified applicants will be placed in a waiting pool. Applicants in the pool will not be placed in any rank order. If a vacancy occurs, an Admission Committee, consisting of faculty and Directors, will review all qualified applicants in the pool again.
Consideration will be given to the following factors, in no particular order, and decisions will be made based on the needs of each class and the best interest of the school:
- cultural and ethnic diversity
- gender balance
- qualified students for whom a place was not found in the previous year (these students must still meet current standard of acceptance)
- siblings of students currently enrolled
- children of alumni
- children of faculty and staff
- students with exceptional abilities or talents
Admission to Morgantown Learning Academy is determined by the student's application, completion of the teacher observation form (depending on the grade level), transcripts from the previous school, and the results of an entrance interview. An entrance interview is required in order to determine the student's aptitude and achievement levels, social skills, and previous experiences.
Spaces in most grades are limited, so it is advisable to contact the school as early as possible.
To begin the application process:
- Call and arrange for a tour of the school with the Director.
- Return the application with the $50 application fee.*
- Fill out and sign the Transcript and Information Release Form. Ask the applicant's school to send a copy of your child's transcripts to Morgantown Learning Academy (Grades 1-8).
- When requested by administration, take the Teacher Observation Forms (grades 1-8) along with a stamped envelope to your child's current teacher and ask that he/she mail it to MLA when it is completed.
- Set up an entrance interview with the Director.
- Before admittance to Morgantown Learning Academy, all immunization records, a certified copy of the student's birth certificate, and proof of a negative TB tine test (administered within one year of starting date) must be presented to the Director.
*Tuition and Fee schedule available upon request.